Another first for me – BPSK31

So… I moved the PC closer to the rig as I could not be bothered to make extension cables. I already had fldigi and flrig and these both worked well once I connected it all up. Lots of morse – I’m still learning so seeing it decoded is actually quite an aid. But then I found some unfamiliar patterns. These fldigi pages are really helpful – http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/Modes/ as is G4UCJ’s page at http://hfradio.org.uk/html/digital_modes.html and I soon discovered lots of BPSK31 and BPSK63 signals around 14.070. Yup, I still only have wires up for 14MHz and 50MHz…

I tried answering some CQ calls to no avail. So I had a break and made those extensions so I could actually regain some desk space. I tried to answer more calls and noticed the tx power level stayed firmly at zero when I transmitted. After a couple of ‘CQ tests’ I could hear a hash on the ICR2 but no ‘music’. Having then plugged the audio leads into the right holes (!!!) and adjusting the line out volume I managed some tx power movement and tones on the ICR2.

After attempting lots of unanswered CQ calls I answered a CQ from an Italian station and he got straight back to me! So, BPSK31 done – not really, it looks like a neat mode, almost like the displays from ‘the matrix’ and all this for keys 31Hz bandwidth.

Fldigi is a really good piece of software. I’ve set the macros up so I am ready to play more.